8.32 Electrical issues

Vraagbaak techniek
Maarten-Jan
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Re: 8.32 Electrical issues

Bericht door Maarten-Jan » 23 jun 2015, 23:26

Good luck, keep us posted!
Echt snelle auto's vallen stilstaand niet op!

Lancia Thema 8.32 SW

CharlieA

Bericht door CharlieA » 26 jun 2015, 21:52

Maarten-Jan schreef:Good luck, keep us posted!
Hello guys!

This is the result after an initial MOT check.

1. Horn is not working. Will check to see if there is power to the horns. Where can I find them?

2. The rear longitudinal arms, the bushings have slipped and need to be changed. Change bushings or change rods? Where can I source them?

3. Warning light on front right light and left rear light. Lights seem to be working though? Earth issues?

There is some minor rust here and there, but not much.

The engine does sweat a bit, but haven't been washed for a long time.

Could have been much worse! Apart from that, the car seemed to be in pretty good nick.

Thanks for your tips!

CharlieA

Bericht door CharlieA » 26 jun 2015, 23:44

CharlieA schreef:
Maarten-Jan schreef:Good luck, keep us posted!
Hello guys!

This is the result after an initial MOT check.

1. Horn is not working. Will check to see if there is power to the horns. Where can I find them?

2. The rear longitudinal arms, the bushings have slipped and need to be changed. Change bushings or change rods? Where can I source them?

3. Warning light on front right light and left rear light. Lights seem to be working though? Earth issues?

There is some minor rust here and there, but not much.

The engine does sweat a bit, but haven't been washed for a long time.

Could have been much worse! Apart from that, the car seemed to be in pretty good nick.

Thanks for your tips!
When I come to think of it, I think I need some good tips on where to buy parts.
I see superformance seem to have good prices and availability on engine parts.
On other parts should I use FIAT importer or who do you guys use?

Tips regarding the rear arms would be great.

Maarten-Jan
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Maarten-Jan » 27 jun 2015, 11:38

Replace the rubbers inside the bushes with powerflex. You will never have any tyroubles! You can find these items here.

The horn is placed in the left front wing. It's accessible by removing the inner protection of the wing. I suggest it's the negative earthing of the horn in the steering wheel. The electrical pick up sliders cab be dirty or bent.

Warning light is an earth problem, or the cigarette lighter light. You can find the trouble in the manual. Codes of the warning lights are explained there. I think thopugh it's not a mot issue?

Lancia Thema 8.32 SW

CharlieA

Bericht door CharlieA » 27 jun 2015, 14:13

Maarten-Jan schreef:Replace the rubbers inside the bushes with powerflex. You will never have any tyroubles! You can find these items here.

The horn is placed in the left front wing. It's accessible by removing the inner protection of the wing. I suggest it's the negative earthing of the horn in the steering wheel. The electrical pick up sliders cab be dirty or bent.

Warning light is an earth problem, or the cigarette lighter light. You can find the trouble in the manual. Codes of the warning lights are explained there. I think thopugh it's not a mot issue?
Thanks, bushings are ordered.

Will check the horn later today.

Will also go over the cluster of earth connections.

Appreciate your quick help! Thanks!

CharlieA

Bericht door CharlieA » 29 jun 2015, 23:37

Maarten-Jan schreef:Replace the rubbers inside the bushes with powerflex. You will never have any tyroubles! You can find these items here.

Took out the two horns today.
Cleaned the contacts, tested them (both work) and put them back in again.
They where heavily corroded, but still don't work after the work.
The slider are on the backside of the steering wheel, need to take it off?
The negative ground is just behind the button I guess, I'll remove that next.

The warning lights show the left front light and rear light. They both do work though. Will check further regarding the earth connections.

Thanks for tips!

Maarten-Jan
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Maarten-Jan » 01 jul 2015, 23:06

Yes, you need to take off the wheel. Can be stuck to the shaft so a gentle pull will probably not be enough!

Take a look in the user manual of your car or here on the site. You will find the meaning there of the two warning lights!

Lancia Thema 8.32 SW

CharlieA

Bericht door CharlieA » 04 jul 2015, 23:07

Maarten-Jan schreef:Yes, you need to take off the wheel. Can be stuck to the shaft so a gentle pull will probably not be enough!

Take a look in the user manual of your car or here on the site. You will find the meaning there of the two warning lights!
Hello guys! The work continues!

The two rear bushings are changed.
The funny thing was the original bushings fell out when took down the arms.
Anyway, new bushings are in, and everything went smooth.

Now for the horn. I do have some electrical gremlins.
Suddenly the horn worked, and the rear windows and sunroof did not.
When the horn worked, it worked perfectly.. This makes think the mechanics of the steeringwheel hardly can be the problem? Agree?
Will have a look at the wiring diagram to see how the horn circuit works.
Any tips are appreciated.

I did have a look at all of the fuses in the fusebox, took out all of the fuses and had a look at them.
Also took the relays out to look for burned connectors etc. After I did this the warning light for the lamps was gone.
I think I need to go over all earth connection, clean them and put back together.

I have also gotten a proper look at the rust in the rear wheelwells and rear ends of the floor.
It's a bit of work, but is certainly fixable..

Thanks for the tips!

Hans8V
Donateur 2011

Bericht door Hans8V » 05 jul 2015, 01:39

Good news!
It's always good to start cleaning electrical connections before you focus on a certain warning light. Bad ground connections can create a lot of problems which are mostly easely solved!
The horn is probabely something like this. Did you already take off the steering wheel and clean the 'sliding' contacts? Also reinstalling all fuses might have helped, now try the connectors behind the dash ;-)
Voor het comfort een 2000IE, voor de lol een 1300R en een Thesis 3.0, Delta 1.8DI, 93 cabrio èn een Alfetta GT '75

CharlieA

Bericht door CharlieA » 05 jul 2015, 21:30

Hans8V schreef:Good news!
It's always good to start cleaning electrical connections before you focus on a certain warning light. Bad ground connections can create a lot of problems which are mostly easely solved!
The horn is probabely something like this. Did you already take off the steering wheel and clean the 'sliding' contacts? Also reinstalling all fuses might have helped, now try the connectors behind the dash ;-)
I have done some general cleaning on the earth contacts. Will do it again, properly.
I had one fuse that looked partly burned.
Took out the relays, fuses changed those who looked dirty or or burnded.
The horn is now back and I can fire it at will. Hope it does the same tomorrow!

The warning light does seem to come back, but all seems to be working.
I think there is a dirty connection somewhere in the lamp circuits which triggers it.

The MOT's have gotten more strict here this year. and the horn is actually a part of it.
Warning lights as well, but if it is a false warning they shouldn't care.

Let's cross our fingers. MOT on tuesday!

Plaats reactie

Terug naar “Techniek”