8.32 not idling

Vraagbaak techniek
CharlieA

Re: 8.32 not idling

Bericht door CharlieA » 29 okt 2015, 12:45

Stefan Elshout schreef:Very good you checked the fuel pressure. That is really important and now you know that at least a dozen of fuel injection related parts are still functioning well.
It looks like a genuine 2nd series, it has the auxiliary air valve so I think it's correct.

Ignition related problems are not common, just very few times and very few items seem to malfunction. You could check if the butterfly position switch really switches to idle position with the butterfly valves closed. Also there are millions of vacuum and air hoses, if one of them is leaking the car won't idle properly, I would check them all.

Offcourse normal maintenance like spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor etc.etc are important but I don't think a problem like this will occur all of a sudden because of that. Can't do no harm to check it all though.
Stefan I found the TPS sensor.
Is there a second sensor for this? How do i verify it goes to idle?

Will check the hoses to see what I can find.

Thanks for the help!

ste832

Bericht door ste832 » 29 okt 2015, 12:54

it isn't 2 series, it is 1 series with cat motor...
Afbeelding

Stefan Elshout

Bericht door Stefan Elshout » 29 okt 2015, 14:33

Ste832, how do you see that from the picture?

At least technically it is a second series than so no idle speed regulator etc.
No second sensor for butterfly position.
It's a 3 position switch with pin numbers on it where you connect the connector, it says something like pin 2,3 and 18. At idle the switch must make contact between pin 18 and 2, at full throttle between pin 18 and 3 (or the other way around, I'm saying this by what I remember). Everything between idle and full throttle there is no connection between the pins. You can also hear it click when it's connecting at idle position.

Yes check all hoses, with series 2 or series 1 with cat (swiss version) there are loads of hoses, to and from the air valves, there is air induction solenoid valve, solenoid for fuel vapour, vacuum brake booster, vacuum ignition box and a bunch more

ste832

Bericht door ste832 » 30 okt 2015, 08:58

The difference is not between the first and second series, the difference is between the motor cat, and no cat engine. This is the first series, and you can see it from the name plate of blue color.
You have listed all the features of the second set because it is a motor cat (typical on the second series) and it is normal that has those characteristics.
But the engine cat was also adopted on the first series for the Swiss market.
Afbeelding

Stefan Elshout

Bericht door Stefan Elshout » 30 okt 2015, 10:55

Yes I know, but your right that officially the difference should be between the cat and non-cat motor and not first and second series. But I was just wondering how you could see the difference in this specific picture, seems to be the color of the VIN-Plate than :D

CharlieA

Bericht door CharlieA » 01 nov 2015, 11:58

Hello!

Took one of the distributor caps off today.
It looked absolutely awfull. Rotor is burned around the edges.
The cap has wear marks on the terminals, and the terminal in the middle looks almost worn completely
flat with the plastic. When i pushed it in, the spring didn't even manage to push it out again.

Anyone know where one can source these parts? The wires look OK though.

Not 100% sure if this is the problem, but this problem very well could be ignition related.
I see superformance has wires, but not Dist. caps?

Stefan Elshout

Bericht door Stefan Elshout » 01 nov 2015, 18:40

Should be the same as Ferrari 308 QV. Although I've never ordered them but I know Erwin123 ordered distributor caps/rotor before so I hope he will be able to verify if they are the ones he bought as well (because they did fit).
http://www.superformance.co.uk/308/ignition.html
Don't forget to order the gasket's as well otherwise the rotor can hit the contacts in the cap and ruin your new cap.

Erwin123

Bericht door Erwin123 » 01 nov 2015, 20:24

Hereby confirmed, the distributor caps are identical as used on the 308/328. I ordered mine at superformance.co.uk (distr. cap part code 115518). Note the correct rotor arm is listed in the 328 section with code nr 126130. They are immitation and not official Magneti Marelli parts. The cork gasket has code nr: 119409.

You are Lucky, I see the prices are much cheaper now (about 25%) compared with a few years back. Note the listed prices are ex VAT.

Before ordering the igntion wires/leads measure them and have it checked beforehand they are the correct length. The 8.32 wires appears to be slightly longer as used on the 308/328.

CharlieA

Bericht door CharlieA » 01 nov 2015, 21:42

Thanks for your tips guys. Was worried the caps didn't fit because of the crank differences.
Will not change the leads for now..

Let's hope this makes things better then!

CharlieA

Bericht door CharlieA » 25 nov 2015, 13:07

CharlieA schreef:Thanks for your tips guys. Was worried the caps didn't fit because of the crank differences.
Will not change the leads for now..

Let's hope this makes things better then!
Hello!

Finally done some more testing. Both caps, rotorarms and gaskets are changed.
The car is running much smoother, so has helped, but will still stall on idle when warm.

We have now done this:
TPS Switch = OK, measured it in all positions. Worked like a charm.
Fuel Pressure = OK, we tested it and it was very good,
Dist caps, rotor = OK, runs better but still stalls

Car runs nicely on the road, it only stops when idling.
When you push it, all cylinders are there and it runs great.

Starting to believe there is a massive air leak somewhere?
Running out of things to check. Ideas anyone?

Thanks!

Plaats reactie

Terug naar “Techniek”