8.32 not idling

Vraagbaak techniek
CharlieA

8.32 not idling

Bericht door CharlieA » 23 okt 2015, 17:58

Hello!

Been using the 8.32 for a few weeks now.
Enjoyed it very much I must say.
But, today suddenly it wouldn't idle, hot nor warm.
When I let go of the throttle, it dies.
Starts straight up again, and runs normally as soon as I apply a tad of throttle.

For me, this sounds like an idle motor issue. But not entirely sure how that circuit works on the 8.32.
Mine is a 1992 with the latest version of the EFI.
Where can I find the idle motor, and will the car stop if it doesn't work?

All info appreciated! Thanks!

Stefan Elshout

Re: 8.32 not idling

Bericht door Stefan Elshout » 23 okt 2015, 23:17

Second series 8.32 doesn't have a idle speed regulator, first series have. Second series it's just a preset value determined by the position of the idle bypass screws on the butterfly valve housing. If it happened all of a sudden don't touch the screws but check fuel pressure and if it keeps it's fuel pressure for at least half an hour.
Were you running your car last weeks with AC on and today for the first time with the AC switched off?

CharlieA

Bericht door CharlieA » 23 okt 2015, 23:25

Stefan Elshout schreef:Second series 8.32 doesn't have a idle speed regulator, first series have. Second series it's just a preset value determined by the position of the idle bypass screws on the butterfly valve housing. If it happened all of a sudden don't touch the screws but check fuel pressure and if it keeps it's fuel pressure for at least half an hour.
Were you running your car last weeks with AC on and today for the first time with the AC switched off?
Thanks for chiming in. Best place to measure fuel pressure?

How does the car adjust idle when cold without an idle speed regulator?
As far as I know I haven't touched the AC. But I'll definately try to turn it on to see if anything happens.

It happend all of the sudden this morning, started the car just fine but it just stopped when I let go of the throttle.

Stefan Elshout

Bericht door Stefan Elshout » 23 okt 2015, 23:38

You can measure it just in between the firewall and the engine. There is your fuel feed line.

It has an auxiliary air valve for cold start. If the engine is cold it opens and if the engine warms up it closes. It's just a mechanical device that's shut all the time when the engine is warm. It also has an air valve that energizes when you turn on the ac, raising your rpm.

First series have non of this, it just has an idle speed regulator instead of the air valves, but in your case (and your sure you have a genuine second series) there's no need to search for the idle speed regulator.

CharlieA

Bericht door CharlieA » 23 okt 2015, 23:54

Stefan Elshout schreef:You can measure it just in between the firewall and the engine. There is your fuel feed line.

It has an auxiliary air valve for cold start. If the engine is cold it opens and if the engine warms up it closes. It's just a mechanical device that's shut all the time when the engine is warm. It also has an air valve that energizes when you turn on the ac, raising your rpm.

First series have non of this, it just has an idle speed regulator instead of the air valves, but in your case (and your sure you have a genuine second series) there's no need to search for the idle speed regulator.
Yes, have the papers from Germany! It's a 1992.

I think I found the auxillary air valve, it gets as a small hose from the intake.

I'll take off the hose to the valve and see if it suddenly idles. If it does, that indicates the problem is fuel related??

Maarten-Jan
Site Admin
Contacteer:

Bericht door Maarten-Jan » 24 okt 2015, 08:05

Fuel pressure problems are common with th 8.32. Most obvious reasons are:
- clogged fuel filter
- leaking fuel hose in the pump assembly
I had a clogged fuel filter which resulted in a broken pump.
Echt snelle auto's vallen stilstaand niet op!

Lancia Thema 8.32 SW

Stefan Elshout

Bericht door Stefan Elshout » 24 okt 2015, 10:03

Right, it has 2 air valves, 1 gold colored small one and a bigger aluminum one. Small one is for the AC and the other one for cold start.
Taking off that hose will not work because all air going through these air valves is measured earlier on by the air flow meter. When you do that it will get 'unmeasured' air and most likely stall in any case. You could energize that small air valve (if it works by switching on the ac) than it will get an increased amount of 'measured' air.

I would not put to much thrust in paperwork, I've seen to many with replaced engine's from S1 to S2 and the other way around. Please upload a picture of the engine to verify it's a genuine S2 (with genuine S2 engine and injection system).

CharlieA

Bericht door CharlieA » 24 okt 2015, 11:31

Stefan Elshout schreef:Right, it has 2 air valves, 1 gold colored small one and a bigger aluminum one. Small one is for the AC and the other one for cold start.
Taking off that hose will not work because all air going through these air valves is measured earlier on by the air flow meter. When you do that it will get 'unmeasured' air and most likely stall in any case. You could energize that small air valve (if it works by switching on the ac) than it will get an increased amount of 'measured' air.

I would not put to much thrust in paperwork, I've seen to many with replaced engine's from S1 to S2 and the other way around. Please upload a picture of the engine to verify it's a genuine S2 (with genuine S2 engine and injection system).
I'll take a picture of the motor later.
Today it did idle, but not very smooth.
I suspect there is some crud in the filter moving about.
That would result in varying pressure.

CharlieA

Bericht door CharlieA » 28 okt 2015, 21:52

Hello!

Got some more info after testing.

We connected a fuel pressure gauge today. It maxed at 7 bars when running.
It was stable, did not fluctuate.
When we shut it off it stayed at 3.7 bars for ages, did not budge.
From my understanding, the problem is not pressure related at least.

Anyone have some ideas?
Can it be ignition related?
Will it stop if one cylinder is out you think?
Where can I buy ignition parts, rotor, caps etc?

Thanks for chiming in!

By the way, can anyone confirm it's a series II?
Bijlagen
832Engine.jpg

Stefan Elshout

Bericht door Stefan Elshout » 29 okt 2015, 11:04

Very good you checked the fuel pressure. That is really important and now you know that at least a dozen of fuel injection related parts are still functioning well.
It looks like a genuine 2nd series, it has the auxiliary air valve so I think it's correct.

Ignition related problems are not common, just very few times and very few items seem to malfunction. You could check if the butterfly position switch really switches to idle position with the butterfly valves closed. Also there are millions of vacuum and air hoses, if one of them is leaking the car won't idle properly, I would check them all.

Offcourse normal maintenance like spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor etc.etc are important but I don't think a problem like this will occur all of a sudden because of that. Can't do no harm to check it all though.

Plaats reactie

Terug naar “Techniek”